Tuesday, October 11, 2016

The Road to Recovery

In the summer of 2016 the Bonham High School  AAU team was in Sacramento. They were playing at the Hardwood Palace at 4:30 P.M. It was the first game of the tournament. The games were running a little behind schedule so the team only had 4 minutes to warm up. The starters took the court, they were Sophia, Emma, Isabella, Lily, and Zoe.

The team took the court despite the nerves they had since it was the first game of the tournament and of their AAU season. The ref threw the ball up and Bonham won the tip, Zoe got the ball and drove it in to get the first two points of the game up on the board for Bonham. The team went down and played defense, resulting in the other team turning the ball over and Zoe getting the long pass from Sophia and scoring two more points for Bonham. The other team's coach called a timeout because his team was beginning to get frustrated. The two teams took the court once again.

It was the other team's ball and they finally scored their first two points. Bonham got the ball and Sophia brought it up the court. When she passed the half court line she passed the ball to Zoe. Zoe started to drive to the basket and do a Euro Step when she fell to the ground and let out two high pitch screams. That is when her team mates knew that she was hurt.

The coach ran out onto the court along with Zoe’s older sister. Usually they wouldn’t have went out if Zoe had got hurt because she usually did not scream and would just get right back up. When they got out to Zoe she wasn’t talking, crying, or even making any noise. She was just sitting on the court holding her bent knee, she couldn’t straighten it out. When they asked Zoe what happened she told them that she thought she had dislocated her knee because she felt it pop out and then back in. They let her sit on the floor for a minute so that she could slowly get her leg to straighten back out. Once she got it straight again her coach and her sister helped her stand up. They told her to hold on to them and to put pressure on her foot to see if it would hurt. Zoe put her foot on the ground to take the first step and immediately started to cry, it was the most painful thing ever. When they finally got her over to the bench they elevated her leg and put ice on it. She told them that it hurt a little but it was burning terribly. She looked at her sister who was a nurse after she told her what it felt like and she could tell by the look on her face that it was not a good sign. About 10 minutes later all the pain and burning went away and Zoe wanted to go back in the game. Her coach immediately told her no, which made her think she had really done something bad.

About one week later Zoe went to get an MRI of her knee just to be sure that nothing was wrong. She was doing everything she had done before she got hurt, but her parents just wanted to be sure that she wasn’t hurt and that the pain hadn’t just gone away. On July 28th Zoe went to Redding where she had her MRI. 11 hours later Zoe got the worst news that she could ever have gotten. She had torn her ACL completely so much so that it had disintegrated, she had torn her meniscus completely, and she had fractured and dented her Femur. It took Zoe about 15 minutes of crying to realize that she just wanted to get the surgery and get back out on the basketball court as soon as she could.

On July 29th Zoe went to UCSF to meet with the surgeon who was going to do her surgery for the consultation. When the surgeon got into the room she checked out Zoe’s knee. She said she had know idea how Zoe had no pain and was hiking the day before she had went down their. The surgeon said it is one of the worst ACL, Meniscus tears that she had seen. She left the room to go and see when she could do the surgery because she was leaving for the Rio Olympics on August 2nd. She told us before she left the room to check that she probably wouldn’t be able to do it until she got back. But she came back with the best news. She told Zoe and her family that on August 1st she would open up a spot just to do Zoe’s surgery. That was the best news Zoe had got in a while.

On August 1st at 7 A.M. Zoe got to the hospital and was being prepped for surgery. At 9 A.M. Zoe was wheeled back for surgery. And at 12 noon, Zoe was wheeled into recovery. At 12:15 Zoe woke up from surgery and the nurse told her that she would have to wait an hour to see her parents, and when her parents got back there she was so happy to see them. She was still groggy though from the anesthesia.

Zoe now is on the road to recovery and is 3 months out of surgery and is doing great.

No comments:

Post a Comment